Thread: Windows VS Linux Minecraft Server

Chats: 0

Windows VS Linux Minecraft Server

Anyone have any experience on which is better for running a MineCraft server on?

Windows OS (XP, 7)
    or
    Linux (Ubuntu)

I'm looking at getting a server setup for local players and would like to know which server would perform better.

I'm looking at having about 4-5 people on the server at a time.
    Limited on hardware to run the Server on as well atm.

Pentium 4, 2.5Ghz, 3GB Ram, 120GB HD

Thanks,
    SirStar

Well I run Ubuntu and the current OS is a bit buggy tbh. Once they update it everything should be fine, but Windows isn't much of a server-style OS. Windows uses up too much memory on the computer, memory that the server could be using to reduce lag. It's your choice which one to use, both have downsides though. You're also going to want to make sure that you have a strong, solid connection. Try accessing your router's settings and selecting the firewall options and setting it up so that the computer you host the server from has a direct tunnel to it through the router's firewall.
    Last edited by crazyman10123; 07-25-2011 at 07:38 AM.
    I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFRAKKIN' CREEPERS IN THIS MOTHERFRAKKIN' GAME

How about GUI in Linux? Do you use it to run your MineCraft server or is the server running command line only?

Any other add-ins you run with the server to help manage it?

I'm just getting into the server part of MineCraft, so I'm fairly new at running the server portion.

Thanks,
    SirStar

If you use centos then its easy to do without the gui, if you get stuck then I can help you out

I run my server on CentOS, and it's a breeze. If you are comfortable with running a server without GUI, I'd recommend running it on a Linux Distro. CentOS is great for servers (not only gaming servers, webservers too!), so I'd recommend that particular distro. Not sure if this reply is late, it probably is a bit late, but just thought I'd share my opinion/experience
    Hi...

Visitors found this page by searching for:

minecraft server linux or windows

minecraft server linux vs windows

minecraft server windows or linux

minecraft server performance windows vs linux

minecraft server windows vs linux

minecraft server ubuntu vs windows

windows or linux for minecraft server

linux vs windows minecraft server

minecraft ubuntu vs windows

minecraft linux vs windows

minecraft linux windows serverserveur minecraft linux ou windowsminecraft server windows oder linuxiwhich is better to run a minecraft server linux or windowsminecraft server windows xp vs ubuntuwindows vs linux minecraft serverbetter minecraft server linux or windowsminecraft server linux oder windowswindows home server vs linux server in minecraft serverсервера minecraft для windows и linuxservidor minecraft windows ou linuxlunix vs windoes minecraft serverminecraft linux or windows serverserver minecraft better on linux or winperformance of a linux minecraft server vs windows
SEO Blog